Join the GLC!
Why join the Green Living Council?
- Have a passion for the environment and sustainability, or want to learn more about them?
- Enjoy engaging with your peers to discuss important issues?
- Want an exciting way to meet people and join a network of campus leaders while furthering a cause you believe in?
- Like to organize activities, social events, and other programming?
- Aspire to be a leader in powering a movement toward a culture of sustainability at Stanford?
- Have the dedication and enthusiasm to represent your fellow housemates on green issues and serve as the primary advocate for sustainability in your residential community?
If so, then the Green Living Council is for you! Our members, the Green Living Coordinators, are champions for sustainability on campus. To find out more about this role, read on!
What are the responsibilities of a GLC?
In general, responsibilities of all GLCs include:
- Attending weekly GLC meetings on Wednesdays from 8:00-9:00 pm (but we will work accommodate students with schedule conflicts)
- Updating your dormmates about the state of sustainability at Stanford and the current GLC events at house meetings
- Implementing a behavior change project in your residence
- Supporting our other initiatives on campus such as Green Screens and Earth Day fairs
- Leading efforts to engage your residence in our Energy and Water Wars competitions
- Serving as the sustainability expert for your residence
The expected time commitment is about 2-3 hours per week. However, we work hard to maintain a flexible framework to allow people with varying levels of time and availability to get involved.
What opportunities are available to GLCs?
Joining the GLC community is an extremely rewarding chance to not only build your skills in leadership while making a tangible impact on campus, but also to meet an amazing group of people. Just some of the opportunities the GLC offers include:
- An optional 2-unit, fall quarter training course to teach you the skills needed to effect real change in sustainability on campus
- Opportunities for you to get funding and other resources to implement a project of your own design in your residence
- The annual GLC Symposium, open to any GLC members that want to showcase their work from the year
- Chances to work with administrators, staff members, and Stanford professors
- Frequent social and networking events, including movie nights, field trips to Jasper Ridge, baking parties, and much more!
How do I get involved?
To become a Green Living Coordinator, just complete our online registration form, and we will get you started. We are open to all classes from freshmen to graduate students, and each residence can have more than one GLC.
Last modified Tue, 30 Sep, 2014 at 22:56